Tuesday, August 08, 2006

BB’s NASCAR experience

I had an eye-opening experience over the weekend while driving south on Interstate 81 from Hazleton to Harrisburg. Now I know why there are frequent accidents and occasional fatalities on this stretch of highway.

Below are a few of the escapades that I witnessed:

- Most drivers seemed to be cruising at 75 to 85 mph even though the posted speed limit is 65 mph. I was passed like crazy with my cruise control set at 70 mph.

- One woman blew by me while talking on a handheld cell phone.

- A few car drivers passed 18-wheelers using the right-hand lane, a well-documented way to get smushed by a trucker.

- Tailgating galore at high speeds, especially by truckers who refused to hit the breaks while barreling downhill.

The (Harrisburg) Patriot-News ran an op-ed piece on Sunday by a motorist who has had similar experiences on Pennsylvania highways.

Speeding and aggressive driving kill. Please slow down.

No comments: